Mia Metcalfe (Mrs. Metcalfe)
Studio Owner & Director of Operations
Born into a family of entrepreneurs, Mrs. Metcalfe has followed her parents’ passion in owning and operating small businesses. Mrs. Metcalfe has always had a deep passion for the arts and culture.
A graduate of The University of Toronto (Sociology) and The University of San Pablo, Spain (Masters in Broadcasting), Mrs. Metcalfe’s first venture into business was co-owning and operating a private high school called University Learning Academy (ULA) in Toronto. It was at this time, that her passion for children’s education was first inspired.
A mother of four children, Mrs. Metcalfe settled into Whitby in hopes of creating a new business in the Durham region. Upon hearing that Prima, a vital dance institution in the Brooklin community, was closing as a result of the pandemic, she was moved to intervene and determined to keep the ballet school open. From this philanthropic spirit, she is taking over as the owner and managing director of Prima.
Not only is Mrs. Metcalfe over-joyed to be part of Prima’s long history, she is honoured to continue to nurture the joy of ballet, dance and theatre performance within our community.
Theresa Lee (Ms. Lee)
Artist in Residence, Ballet Teacher
Ms. Lee is thrilled to be a part of the re-opening of Prima Ballet School. Her ballet journey began as a five-year old girl in Seoul, Korea. By the age of ten, her parents moved to Canada where she was accepted directly in Canada’s National Ballet School. It was in her six years with the National Ballet program that not only did her passion for dancing grow but so too did her dream of dancing professionally. Her dream became realized when, at the age of eighteen, she returned to Korea as the youngest performer for the Korean National Ballet Company. During this time, she performed in the Korean National Ballet’s productions of Swan Lake, The Nutcracker and Symphony C among other classics. From there, Ms. Lee turned towards her education receiving her Bachelor of Arts in Dance from Ewha Woman’s University in Seoul Korea. After graduation, she re-directed her passion for ballet to instructing at both the Seoul Tanz Station and later the La Danse Ballet Academy in Seoul, Korea. It is here her love and passion for teaching blossomed. With great fortune, her journey came full-circle as Ms. Lee returned to Canada in 2019. Even more fortuitous that she decided to settle in Whitby and was presented with the opportunity to join the Prima Ballet School team. She did not hesitate in doing so; Ms. Lee is honoured to do bring her love, skill and creativity to the Brooklin community.
- Canada’s National Ballet School, Toronto 1997-2002
- Pacific Northwest Ballet School (Exchange Summer Program), Seattle 2001
- Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo (Selected and attended as a guest student), Monte-Carlo 2002
- Korean National Ballet Company, Seoul 2002-2004
- Ewha Womans University, Seoul 2004-2008 (MAJOR IN THE INSTRUCTION OF BALLET/DANCE)
- The 5th Korean Ballet Concour (Gold Award), Seoul 2007
- Seoul Tanz Station (Ballet Instructor), Seoul 2012-2014
- La Danse Ballet Academy (Ballet Instructor), Seoul 2013-2015
- The Nutcracker by National Ballet of Canada- Hummingbird Center, Toronto
- Dream Dance: Loosin Yelov in Night of the Stars- Princess of Whales Theater, Toronto
- Ellas Riddle in Annual General Meeting- Betty Oliphant Theater, Toronto
- Pyrrhic Dance in Spring Showcase- Betty Oliphant Theater, Toronto
- Les Sylphides in Spring Showcase- Betty Oliphant Theater, Toronto
- Symphony in C by Korean National Ballet- Seoul Arts Center, Seoul
- Swan Lake by Korean National Ballet- Seoul Arts Center, Seoul
- The Nutcracker by Korean National Ballet- Seoul Arts Center, Seoul
- La fille mal Gardée by Korean National Ballet- Seoul Arts Center, Seoul
- Giselle by Korean National Ballet- Seoul Arts Center, Seoul
Tracy Smith (Ms Smith)
Contemporary, Tap, Jazz, Musical Theatre
Tracy started dancing at the age of two in her hometown of Brighton in the UK. Her love for dance and performance grew quickly whilst studying at the Jacqueline Storey Theatre School and performing in musicals such as Annie (Molly and Duffy), The Sound Of Music (Gretl), The King And I (Siamese Twin) and Wind In The Willows (Portly Otter).
She studied all styles of dance, including Contemporary, Jazz, ISTD National and Greek, and was a finalist in many award competitions. At the age of 14, she was ranked one of the Top 7 tappers in the UK.
- Graduate of the highly regarded 3-year Dance Diploma Program at Laine Theatre Arts
- Honours in ISTD Ballet, Tap and Modern
- Solo Seal RAD and ISTD Associate with Distinction in Ballet, Tap and Modern
Tracy’s love for teaching emerged during her time at Laine while working as a teacher’s assistant for children’s classes. Tracy went on to work for Carnival Cruise Lines as a performer, featured soloist, adage and magician’s assistant and kept her love for teaching alive in the role of Dance Captain. Upon her return from the sea, she joined Toronto’s “The Dance Company” as a senior dancer and performed at many trade shows, award ceremonies and private functions.
Tracy is excited to be teaching and hopes to pass on her love for dance to the next generation.